Turn a Small Agility Training Sequence Into a Big Course Skill
My dog agility training often falls into one of two "seasons."
The smaller indoor training season and the spacious outdoor season...
...or in agility speak, sequences and courses.
Regardless of what size your training area is, there is value in consistently training both skill sets (spoiler alert, an agility training sequence is coming up...).
Why is this important?
- Sequence training is great for developing clear, succinct and timely cues; and
- Course work can foster drive, distance and speed.
HINT: A milestone on the road to consistent agility success is how quickly and smoothly a team can adapt and adjust between these 2 skills.
How to accomplish this?
- First, value that small space area - once you master the art of being timely in a small (or micro) space, chances are you'll feel like you have oodles of time once you're out on a full course.
- Second, course work doesn't always mean huge spaces - a trick I use to move my sequence skills into course work mode (without having to rent a 100x100 arena) is to expand the distance between obstacles.
Here's a trick I use to turn a small sequence into a big course skill...
In this classic and extremely versatile jump box exercise (minus the jump bars), I use the smaller spacing to perfect my timing and cues.
This exercise works great for skills, like:
- Front Crosses
- Rear Crosses
- Pull Through's
- and more...
Then, once I've perfected those, I change the challenge (still working without jump bars) and move my training toward course work skills by increasing the distance between the obstacles (see example #2).
Why remove the jump bars?
The goal for this exercise is to improve the handler's cue, clarity and timeliness. Without bars, it is easy to gauge the dog's responsiveness, while keeping the exercise safe for them.
Clients are amazed (and inspired!) by how the difference in spacing can create new (and unexpected) challenges for their team.
Want access to the sequences & spacing I use? Here are two things you can do right now.
- Get on the waitlist to receive more freebie Space vs. Time Exercises, CLICK HERE (then scroll to the bottom of the page).
- While you're grabbing the freebie, add 400 Sequences & Courses to your collection... plus, it's currently on a 2-day Flash Sale for 45% off.
Have any questions? If so, hit reply.
Dog Agility Judge - Spot On Agility
P.S. Don't forget: